1. _________the Boston Red Sox have often been outstanding, they haven't won the World Series since 1918.
2. ________ many computer software programs that possess excellent word-processing capabilities.
3. Many Middle Eastern diplomats still feel that the United States is intent ________ the ultimate policeman in the region.
4. Woodrow Wilson believed the United States' entry into World War I would _________ the war in months.
5. _________ of New York's Erie Canal greatly enhanced trade in the upstate region.
6. After ________ the skin, a leech is best removed by the application of either salt or heat.
7. ________ east of the Mississippi River.
8. ________ wrote the operetta "Babes in Toyland", drawn from the childhood characters of Mother Goose.
9. Some of the oldest and most widespread creation myths are ________ involving the algiving "Earth Mother".
10. In ________, compact disk technology has almost made record albums obsolete.
11. In the first few months of life, an infant learns how to lift its hands, how to smile and ________.
12. “Juana Inez de la Cruz ________ Mexico's greatest female poet.
13. Because the metal mercury ________ in direct proportion to temperature, it was once used as the indicator in common thermometers.
14. ________ what is now San Salvador, Christopher Columbus believed that he had found Japan.
15. The principal purpose of aviation medicine is ________ by people aboard an aircraft in flight.
Если вы закончили работу над предложенными заданиями, нажмите на кнопку "Результат тестирования", и вы узнаете количество правильных ответов. Запомните (а лучше - запишите!) эту цифру - она вам понадобится в дальнейшем для расчета предполагаемой оценки.